Petitions & Tort Claims


Citizen Petitions

Citizen Petitions to Council

Pursuant to Los Alamos County Charter, Article II, Section 202.2, Procedure and Agenda, the Council shall place on the agenda of its next regular meeting the subject of any written request signed by five (5) or more qualified voters of the County and presented to the County Clerk at least ten (10) days prior to that meeting. Citizens may complete and submit the Los Alamos Citizen Petition to the County Clerk's Office, who will then verify that the number of qualified voter signatures has been met and forward the petition to the County Manager's Office for review. 

Voter Petitions: Initiatives, Referendums, and Recalls

The Los Alamos County Charter allows for any registered voter of the County to commence initiative, referendum or recall proceedings as specified.


Download the Citizen Petition Form(PDF, 178KB)

Read the Law about Petitions
in the Los Alamos County Code


Tort Claims

What is a Tort Claim?

The torts most likely to be heard in magistrate or metropolitan court are the kinds that arise from intentional or negligent acts, or failures to act, that result in injury to people or damage to property. Common torts include: assault, battery, damage to personal property, conversion of personal property, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Injury to people may include emotional harm as well as physical harm.
(Source: University of New Mexico Judicial Education Center)

Submitting a Claim

In order to submit your claim, you must complete a Tort Claim Form and submit it to the County Clerk. New Mexico law requires the claimant to submit a notice of claim within ninety (90) days of the occurrence. The full claim must be submitted to the Clerk's Office within 2 years of the occurrence. The County Clerk will then forward your claim to the county attorney and the risk division. The claim will be forwarded to the New Mexico Self-Insurers’ Fund for investigation and adjustment. You may expect to be contacted by a fund representative regarding your claim. Call (800) 432-2036 or (505) 982-5573, if you have questions.


Download the Tort Claim Form(PDF, 251KB)