The Los Alamos Airport was constructed in 1948 to support the Atomic Energy Commission’s military requirements at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory. The airport first became available for public use by local aircraft owners in 1960. However, strict security was enforced and the airport would be closed to public use for indefinite periods when deemed necessary by the Department of Energy (DOE). In October 1996, Los Alamos County assumed operating control of the airport from the DOE.
The Department of Energy transferred the airport to the County on Oct. 30, 2008, during a special ceremony honoring U.S. Senator Pete Domenici, who was instrumental in establishing the land transfer process that eventually led to the transfer of the airport and surrounding land. Airport Services:
Up to date information on Airport Projects
Transportation available to and from the Los Alamos Airport
Bobbi Huseman, C.M.
Emergency / After Hours
1040 Airport Rd
Los Alamos NM 87544
8am - 5pm Mon - Fri
The overall objective of the2013 Los Alamos Airport Master Plan Update(PDF, 43MB) is to provide guidance for future development of the airport, meeting the needs of existing and future users, while also being compatible with the environment.
For Airport Aeronautical information please visit http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAM
KLAM Pilot Briefing(PDF, 720KB)
Airport Rules and Regulations(PDF, 1MB)
Airport Minimum Standards(PDF, 8MB)