Q. What are the court's COVID procedures?
A. You must still wear a mask and practice social distancing at this facility. And, as always, if you are feeling sick or have been exposed to COVID, please stay home and call the court at 505-662-8025 instead of coming in.
Pursuant to Supreme Court Order No. 22-8500-018, you may appear with audio-video via zoom. If you cannot utilize the camera function of zoom, you must attend court in-person.
Q. Do I have to appear for court in person?
A. If you would like to appear for court via Zoom, please contact the court with your email address prior to your scheduled court date.
Q. How To Apply For A Public Defender
A. To apply you must make an appointment by calling the probation department of the Los Alamos Municipal Court at (505) 662-8027.
At your appointment the interviewer will complete an eligibility determination form with you, as well as review pertinent financial documents.
It is recommended that the defendant bring as many of the following as possible to the interview to assist in making a determination:
- Copies of current bank statements (savings & checking)
- Documentation of welfare or any aid received
- Proof of rental or mortgage payment
- Receipts for any outstanding obligations such as vehicle loan, child support, medical bills, utilities, etc.
- Stocks, bonds or saving bonds including an estimate of current value
- Monthly income pay stubs or statement from employer for one month
- IRS returns filed for the past three years
- If you reside with anyone, information on that person's employment and wages for one year
The Municipal Court follows the State of New Mexico's guidelines for indigence.
Q. How Do I Clear My Bench Warrant
A. If you wish to avoid being arrested you may turn yourself into the Court and arrange to appear at a scheduled arraignment. If you have a warrant for failure to pay fines you may be able to clear it by paying the outstanding fines and bench warrant fees at the payment window. Again, please be aware that the $100.00 fee will be charged in addition to your fines.
If you think there may be an outstanding bench warrant with Los Alamos Municipal Court issued for you, please contact the Municipal Court at (505) 662-8025. You can obtain information regarding your options and it is possible that you will be able to clear the warrant without being arrested.