Code Compliance

Code Compliance Image

Code Compliance is responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations specified in the Los Alamos County Code, which includes the Building Code, the Development Code, and the Nuisance Code, except for where the Code clearly designates enforcement authority to the County Engineer or some other official.

To view the applicable County Codes, click below.

The goal of Code Compliance is to work with residents and business owners toward solutions, not punishment.

If a complaint does not fall under the responsibilities of Community Development we will refer your complaint to staff of the appropriate department within the county.

Report Potential Code Violations Online

You can now report suspected Code violations by submitting an online form. If you are unaware of the exact street address, give directions from the closest known street address or crossroads to the property you suspect is in violation.

Upon receipt of a complaint, staff will conduct a site visit. If a code violation is identified, a Notice of Violation will be issued indicating the nature of the violation and the required corrective action. If the violation is not corrected by the deadline indicated on the notice, a citation will be issued requiring the property owner to appear in Municipal Court.


Code Enforcement Request Form


Common Code/Complaint Issues Handled by Code Enforcement

1. Issues on private property.

  • Trees, plants, shrubs or vegetation, or any parts thereof, which overhang or extrude into any abutting sidewalk, public right-of-way, planting strip, and clear sight triangle
  • Inoperable vehicles on private property

2. Abandoned structures

  • Structures in disrepair
  • Structures open or unsafe

3. Protective treatment of structures

  • Peeling paint
  • Broken windows
  • Roofing in disrepair or roof water creating nuisance

4. Fences/walls in disrepair

5. Trees/Shrubs extending into street or sidewalks

6. Permits

  • Unpermitted structures including buildings and fences
  • Unpermitted Signs
  • Unpermitted Business Licenses
  • Unpermitted uses of property such as commercial on residential, etc.

7. Creating rodent harborage

  • No person shall place, leave, dump, or permit to accumulate any water, garbage, rubbish, or trash in any structure or premises so that the same may afford food or harborage for rodents or pests.

9. Accumulation of litter, garbage, and refuse

  • All exterior property and premises, whether improved or vacant, shall be free from any accumulation of litter, garbage, refuse, or vegetative debris

10. Pools, hot tubs, spas

  • Must be covered or surrounded by a fence or barrier
  • Must be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition

11. Brush and Bulk Item Collection

  • Brush, pine needles, leaves and so forth can be collected curbside when placed in a Yard Trimming Roll Cart which is available for no additional charge to residents paying for weekly curbside roll cart trash collection.
  • Bulky items placed out for curbside collection prior to 48 hours before the day scheduled with the Environmental Services will be considered a violation.
  • Alternatively, bring your materials to the Eco Station - each resident with trash service has 12 free loads annually - or rent a roll-off container for construction and demolition projects, call the Eco Station 662-8163.

12. Chapter 16 & Chapter 18

  • Chapter 16 deals with Zoning and Land Use
  • Chapter 18 deals with Nuisances and Building Safety

Common Code/Complaint Issues NOT Handled by Code Enforcement

1. Street Violations

  • Inoperable Vehicles, Trailers, Illegal dumping, etc. on the street
  • Parking complaints
  • Enforced by Police Dept. (505) 662-8222 NON EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE

2. Animals

  • All animal codes can be found in Chapter 6.
  • Enforced by Animal Control (505) 662-8222 NON EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE

3. Noise

  • Although the noise ordinance is located in Chapter 18
  • Enforced by Police or Animal Control. (505) 662-8222

4. Dead and standing trees

  • Currently there is no code provision that regulates dead standing trees.
  • If tree is down Code Enforcement can issue notice.

5. Recreational Vehicles

  • Self-propelled RVs/motorhomes are allowed on street provided they are operable.
  • Unhitched trailers on street enforced by Police. (See #1)

6. Sullivan Field and Lemon Lot - Street Right of Way

Code Compliance Officer Contact

Antoinette Padilla - Code Compliance Officer
(505) 663-1895

Eric Abeyta- Code Compliance Officer
(505) 663-3436