Other Services and Information
Contact Info

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS - 7/6/20 UPDATE: Office Operations & Service Changes During COVID-19 --- (Open for Details..)

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS Office Operations & Service Changes During COVID-19 (updated 7/6/20)
Due to growing COVID-19 concerns, and in continuing to align with directives from the Governor’s Office and Los Alamos County, beginning Monday, July 6th, and until further notice, all in-person services and transactions are suspended.  

Customers are highly encouraged to continue to stay safe, a
nd conduct business remotely by computer or phone whenever possible, and limit in-person transactions to urgent matters… (Read Full News Release here...)

  • In-Person services - suspended (contact office for urgent matters)
  • Drop-Off services available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. - via Drop-Box
  • Assistance available by phone at (505) 662-8010, by fax (505) 662-8008 or by email at clerks@lacnm.us
  • Assistance available by mail to 1000 Central Avenue, Suite 240, Los Alamos, NM 87544
  • Various Online services provided on the County Clerk website:

    Use the link above to search the index of records.
    Need a copy of a record, download, complete and submit Document Request Form 

    Use the link above to search probate & marriage records, or apply online for a marriage license.

    Use the link above to register to vote, apply for an absentee ballot, or view other election related info.

    During this emergency situation, ensuring the health and well-being of the public and staff is a top priority. We appreciate your support and understandingWe are here to help you navigate these challenges together. 

    If you need immediate assistance, or have any questions or concerns, please call County Clerk Naomi Maestas at (505) 709-0402.

    Tort Claims 
    In order to submit your claim, you must complete a Tort Claim Form and submit it to the County Clerk within NINETY (90) days of the occurrence. The County Clerk will then forward your claim to the County Attorney and the Risk Division. The claim will be forwarded to the New Mexico Self-Insurers’ Fund for investigation and adjustment. You may expect to be contacted by a Fund representative regarding your claim. Please call (800) 432-2036 or (505)982-5573 if you have questions.

    Uniform Commercial Code Filings (Formerly called Chattel Filings)
    Effective July 1, 2001, Chapter 139 revised Article 9 to standardize the UCC laws and filing procedures throughout the state. Extracted minerals (such as oil and gas, timber) and fixture filings will continue to be filed in the local county clerks offices. Farm products (livestock and crops) and equipment will be filed in the Office of the New Mexico Secretary of State. For more information on those types of UCC Filings, please call (505) 827-3600 or click here to visit their website.

    Military Discharge Filings (DD214's)
    The County Clerk shall, upon presentation to them, record free of charge the discharge papers of any soldier, sailor, marine, aviator, army nurse or yeomanette who was accepted for service and served in the armed forces of the United States for thirty days or more. (NMSA 14-8-17)

    Copies of military discharge papers filed with the County Clerk are available free of charge only to the following individuals: the veteran, veteran’s next of kin, veteran’s properly appointed personal representative or executor, a person holding the veteran’s general power of attorney, or a person designated in writing by the veteran to receive the records. (NMSA 14-2-1A)

    Plat and Boundary Filings

    Plat record icon The County Clerk’s Office records and files Real Estate Subdivision Plats and serves as the custodian of these records.

    Plats are filed and indexed by legal description and are available for inspection and/or purchase at our office. The recording and filing fee for a Plat is $25.00. The plat must be on Mylar and legible. The original is scanned and returned to the submitter. Boundary's may not exceed a size of 18" x 24" and be at least 8 1/2" x 11". (NMSA

    Copies of a Plat or Boundary Survey up to 24" x 36" in size may be purchased for $9.00 per page. Copies of a Plat or Boundary Survey up to 11" x 17" in size may be purchased for $1.00 per page. Other maps are sold at various rates depending on the size. Please see our Plat Copy Fee Schedule for more details.

    For property surveys or homebuilding blueprints, contact the previous land surveyor and/or the original homebuilder. The Los Alamos County Community & Economic Development Department and/or the Los Alamos County Engineering & Project Management Department may have information on some of the original government homes. A previous owner or the realtor is also another possible source for this information.

    Los Alamos County Community & Economic Development can be reached at (505) 662-8120. Los Alamos County Engineering & Project Management Department can be reached at (505) 662-8111.

    Vital Record Information
    The Vital Records and Health Statistics Department issues and maintains all vital records for the State of New Mexico. The Santa Fe office is located at 1105 South Saint Francis Street (between Cordova Road and Alta Vista), Santa Fe, NM 87502. For more information on obtaining copies or questions regarding these records, please call 1-866-534-0051, or click here to visit their website. New Mexico Vital Records are restricted access records and are only issued to immediate family members or individuals who demonstrate tangible legal interest.

    Foreclosure Information
    Individuals can come to the County Clerk’s Office and use the Public Search Station to research for documents that are filed during a foreclosure. You need to know the owner’s name and/or the legal description of the property. On request, our office will instruct persons on how to perform real estate searches. Our office will not assume liability for searches conducted by others. There are also several websites dedicated to tracking these types of situations, and will provide information for a nominal fee.

    For information on property being sold or auctioned for back taxes, please contact the State of New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department – Property Tax Division – Delinquent Property Tax Bureau at (505) 827-0883 or click here to visit their website.

    Property Description Information
    The Los Alamos County Assessor’s Office maintains property files by legal or street addresses. For more information regarding property descriptions, please contact their office at (505) 662-8030, or visit their office at 1000 Central Avenue, Suite 210, Los Alamos, NM 87544.

    Web-page Disclaimer - A Word of Warning 
    Despite our good faith efforts to be accurate, this page and our data may contain inadvertent errors. Please email us immediately if you notice an error. Also, please remember that website information is not a substitute for researching the law or for the advice of a competent attorney.