Code Compliance
Contact Info
Last item for navigation

Code Compliance home

Code Enforcement is responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations specified in the Building Code, Chapter 10; the Development Code, Chapter 16; 
and the Nuisance Code, Chapter 18;  of the Los Alamos County Code, except for where the Code clearly designates enforcement authority to the County
Engineer or some other official

The goal of Code Enforcement is compliance, not punishment. 

If a complaint does not fall under the responsibilities of Community Development we will refer your complaint to staff of the appropriate department in the county.

Weeds Ordinance 

From the Los Alamos County Code of Ordinances Sec. 18-42. - Weeds, brush piles, refuse and rubbish.:

All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 18 inches. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs provided; however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens. 

Municipal Code dealing with nuisance weeds and yard maintenance may be read here.

Draft Nuisance and Property Maintenance Code Information Brochure (PDF)

Report Potential Code Violations Online

You can now report suspected Code violations by submitting an online form. Click on Code Enforcement Request Form to make a report. If you are unaware of the exact street address, give directions from the closest known street address or crossroads to the property you suspect is in violation. Upon receipt of a complaint, staff will conduct a site visit. If a code violation is identified, a Notice of Violation will be issued indicating the nature of the violation and the required corrective action. If the violation is not corrected by the deadline indicated on the notice, a citation will be issued requiring the property owner to appear in Municipal Court.

Common Code/Complaint Issues Handled by Code Enforcement

1. Issues on private property.

  • Weeds, brush piles, trash, outdoor storage of materials
  • Inoperable vehicles on private property

2. Abandoned structures

  • Structure in disrepair
  • Opened or unsafe

3. Protective treatment of structures

  • Peeling paint
  • Broken windows
  • Roofing in disrepair or roof water creating nuisance

4. Fences/walls in disrepair

5. Trees/Shrubs extending into street or sidewalks

6. Permits

  • Unpermitted structures including buildings and fences
  • Signs
  • Business Licenses
  • Unpermitted uses of property such as commercial on residential, etc.

7. Creating rodent harborage

8. Graffiti

  • Property owners are responsible for removal in a timely manner

9. Refrigerators

  • If stored outside doors must be locked or removed

10. Pools, hot tubs, spas

  • Must be covered or surrounded by a fence or barrier
  • Must be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition

11. Brush and Bulk Item Collection

  • Brush, pine needles, leaves and so forth can be collected curbside when placed in a Yard Trimming Roll Cart which is available for no additional charge to residents paying for weekly curbside roll cart trash collection.
  • Bulky items placed out for curbside collection prior to 48 hours before the day scheduled with the Environmental Services will be considered a violation.
  • Alternatively, bring your materials to the Eco Station – each resident with trash service has 12 free loads annually – or rent a roll-off container for construction and demolition projects, call the Eco Station 662-8163.

12. Chapter 16 & Chapter 18

  • Chapter 16 deals with Zoning and Land Use
  • Chapter 18 deals with Nuisances and Building Safety

Common Code/Complaint Issues NOT Handled by Code Enforcement

1. Street Violations

  • Inoperable Vehicles, Trailers, Illegal dumping, etc. on the street 
  • Parking complaints
  • Enforced by Police Dept. (505) 662-8222 NON EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE

2. Animals

  • All animal codes can be found in Chapter 6. 
  • Enforced by Animal Control (505) 662-8222 NON EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE

3. Noise

  • Although the noise ordinance is located in Chapter 18
  • Enforced by Police or Animal Control. (505) 662-8222 

4. Dead and standing trees

  • Currently there is no code provision that regulates dead standing trees.
  • If tree is down Code Enforcement can issue notice.

5. Recreational Vehicles

  • Self-propelled RVs/motorhomes are allowed on street provided they are operable.
  • Unhitched trailers on street enforced by Police. (See #1)

6. Sullivan Field and Lemon Lot – Street Right of Way

  • Enforced by Police. (505) 662-8222

Code Compliance Officer Contact

Antoinette Padilla - Code Compliance Officer 
A[email protected]
(505) 663-1895 

Eric Abeyta- Code Compliance Officer 
[email protected]
(505) 663-3436