Voting Overseas

Military & Overseas RegtoVote-.jpg

Federal Post Card Application (Military/Overseas)


Who is eligible to register to vote?  

To register to vote in New Mexico, you must be:

  • A U.S. Citizen,
  • A New Mexico resident, and
  • At least 18 years old.


Important Information for U.S. residents residing outside of the U.S.:

If you reside outside of the U.S., you may vote in New Mexico if New Mexico was the last place you lived before moving outside the U.S. This is the case even if you moved away many years ago and no longer maintain a residence in New Mexico. If you never resided in New Mexico, but were born to parents whose last U.S. residence was New Mexico, you are eligible to register and vote here.


How do I register to vote? You may register to vote using one of the following methods:

Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)
Online Voter Registration (must have a NM issued driver’s license or state id card);
New Mexico Voter Registration Form


What is the deadline to register to vote? 

The deadline to register to vote is 28 days prior to an election. For the 2024 Primary Election, this is Tuesday, May 7, 2024. FPCA/Voter Registration Forms can be submitted via the following methods: EMAIL: FAX:  505-662-8008 MAIL:  1000 Central Avenue, Suite 240, Los Alamos, NM  87544


How do I request an FPCA/Overseas Absentee Ballot Request?

You may request your ballot online or download and submit the Ballot Request Form(PDF, 229KB)  to:

EMAIL: FAX:  505-662-8008

MAIL:  1000 Central Avenue, Suite 240, Los Alamos, NM  87544


Deadlines to submit an FPCA ballot request for the 2024 Primary Election:

To receive the ballot via EMAIL: June 1, 2024

To receive the ballot via MAIL:  Tuesday, May 21, 2024


How do I return my ballot?  

Voters covered under New Mexico’s Uniform Military and Overseas Voter Act may choose to have their ballot sent to them via mail, email, or fax. Voters are then able to return their ballot via mail, email or fax provided that:

  • The ballot is received in the county clerk’s office by the close of polls (7:00 p.m.) on election day.
  • The voter signs an affidavit waiving the right of secrecy of their ballot.
  • The federal qualified elector transmits the affidavit with the military-overseas ballot.

What if I applied for an absentee ballot but it is late or has not arrived?

County clerks are able to begin sending out ballots to qualified voters beginning 45 days prior to each election.  If you have applied for a ballot and have not received it, please contact the Los Alamos County Clerk's Office. Additionally, you may submit the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB). The FWAB is an alternative ballot for overseas and uniformed services voters whose ballots are late.


Who else is eligible to vote under the New Mexico Uniform Military and Overseas Act?

Emergency response providers may request and receive a ballot in the same manner as provided above, however, they may NOT use the federal postcard application or the federal write-in absentee ballot. An "emergency response provider" is a resident of New Mexico who otherwise satisfies this state's voter eligibility requirements and who, in response to an emergency, is temporarily assigned by a governmental or nongovernmental relief agency or employer to provide support to the victims of the emergency or to rebuild the infrastructure in the affected area and the assignment is for a period beginning on or after the thirty-five days immediately prior to an election. The affected area is outside the individual's county of residence. The President of the United States or the governor of a state has declared an emergency in the affected area.

I have more questions. Who can help me?

Please contact our office at or (505) 662-8010

For more information:

To learn more about registering and voting for military voters and voters who reside outside the U.S., visit:

Federal Voting Assistance Program

Overseas Vote Foundation