Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Contact Info

What are the employment categories?

Full-time regular employee  An employee who performs a basic work period of 40 hours per work week.

Part-time regular employee  An employee who performs at least a 20 hour basic work period but less than a 40 hour basic work period per work week.

Temporary employee  An employee appointed to a position established for a period not to exceed six months. There are two temporary employment seasons: April 1 through September 30 and July 1 through December 31.

Casual employee  An employee who normally performs less than twenty hours of scheduled work within a basic work period of 40 hours per work week.

Limited-term employee  An employee whose employment term is for a continuous, fixed period of time for a duration of at least six months and normally less than one year. The employee works a basic work period of 40 hours per work week. The term of employment may be measured by the completion of a specific activity, not necessarily by an ending date and is completely reliant upon the division's need for the position.

What is a standing file?

A few positions within the County have a standing file. Applications are accepted at any time for these positions only. Applications in any standing file stay active for 6 months. You may call 505-662-8040 if you'd like to have your standing file application extended for another six months.

Can I submit one application for multiple positions?

No, you need to submit a separate application for every position you wish to pursue.

How do I save my application?

For PC or MAC users that wish to SAVE a copy of their filled out application you will need a PDF editor similar to Adobe Acrobat to do this.

  • First you'll need to download and save it to your local disk drive.
  • Then open your PDF editor and open the saved file from your local disk drive.
  • After filling out the application save the document.

For more details on saving the PDF or if you have problems saving your document please see your program's help documents.

Can I sign my application electronically?

Electronic signatures are permitted when filling out the application online. E-signatures must have unique identifying credentials. Authentication entails verifying the user's unique credentials, such as username and password, or a digital certificate.

How do I print from a MAC?

MAC users must use their browser's "print" option or the "apple+p" command on their keyboards to print the job application after filling it out in their browser or use your Adobe Reader program's print option or the "print" button on the form.

How should I submit my application?

  • Applications with electronic signatures or those which have been scanned into a computer can be emailed to

  • You may also fax your signed application 505-662-8000.

  • Applications can also be mailed or hand delivered to:
    Human Resources
    1000 Central Avenue
    Suite 230
    Los Alamos, NM 87544.

Do I have to complete a different application to be an Election Poll Worker?

Yes, you must use the Election Poll Worker application. There are unique conditions for the Election Poll Workers which are addressed on the application.

For more information review the "Notice to Applicants" page or call 505-662-8040.